Not like I intended to leave in the first place, but being in pain will do funny things to your productivity. And make no mistake, I was in pain. A lot of it. I’ll spare the delicate nature of what went down, but suffice it to say that I had a lot of pain in a very sensitive place, and it ended up necessitating surgery. Minimally invasive, outpatient surgery, but surgery nonetheless – itself very painful, painful enough to cut through the general anesthesia. So you have two weeks before surgery and two weeks after for recovery and you get to the month we’ve had since the last entry. But I have not abandoned you, dear reader, and I have not abandoned my work. In fact, since Sunday I’ve been back to the grindstone better than ever.
I believe I’ve mentioned my latest project, a relatively straightforward horror novel. The interesting thing is that, as part of this project, I’ve developed a new method of drafting that seems to mitigate my worst habits. But let me back up.
One of the biggest stumbling blocks with my novels in the past has been my tendency to get three-quarters of the way through a story and realizing that it’s not working in its current form. I mean, hell, Corridors of the Dead was a different book altogether at first, with a different protagonist, which I retooled entirely. Room 3 went through several different iterations and a complete rewrite, as did Room 3 and Came to Believe, which is still stuck in Clusterfuckistan and may not make it out for another year or so. Clearly, the idea of doing the bare minimum of planning then diving in and adjusting on the fly was not working. Came to Believe even had a relatively complete plan before I started drafting, but it still fell victim to the same problems. So half-planning didn’t work, and going by the seat of my pants definitely didn’t work. A new approach was needed. I went down the full-on planning road.
So far it’s working out. As often happens, I quickly realized that problems with the POV character would necessitate a change in protagonists and in the dynamic of some relationships. I also learned that the first protagonist was kind of a cypher, somewhat boring. Another character stepped to the front of the stage, and the second draft of the plot has been all about her. In the course of creating this second draft, I’ve realized that there are pacing issues that can be shored up here and there, which will be addressed in the third draft. But I think you see where I’m going: in the past I might have written 75 to 100K words before discovering the protagonist didn’t work, which would necessitate a months-long total rewrite. In this case, I discovered it within 15,000 words of the plot, and the update is going to take a couple of weeks. And again I might have gotten through that second 75 to 100k word round and discovered the pacing didn’t work, so now I have to insert a chapter here and there then go through the text again to account for any ripple effects. Cue another six months or so. As it stands now, my plot is about 22,000 words, but again it will only take a week or two to insert the new chapters and adjust accordingly. By the time I’m finished, I’ll have a pretty good skeleton of the story that will be pretty easy to drape flesh over.
I’m hopeful enough about this new process that I’ve already started brainstorming another story idea and am allowing that to develop organically. I’m not ready to fully talk about that one yet, but it involves YouTube wannabes and a long-lost abandoned town in the mountains.
Anyway, thanks to those of you who have stuck around all this time. I can’t promise that the road will be clear from here on out, but I am doing my damnedest to stay on it. Hopefully you see some more fiction from me sooner rather than later.